- Period: August 2011
- Weather: Warm to hot (very hot in Shkoder 40+). In the mountains temperature was good
Currency: Albanian Lek
Internet: Available everywhere
ATM's: Available everywhere
Safety: Despite the bad reputation we never felt unsafe. However after dark we would be careful.
Prices (per month and year)
Value Money: €1 =140 Lek
Fuel: diesel is 165 Lek per liter
Camping: between €5 and € 10 per night for 2 persons
For most Europeans no visa needed. Passport should be valid for at least 6 months (ours was only valid for another 3 months and that was no problem).
Entry: We entered from Gusinj in Montenegro (offroad). Entry quick and easy and no costs
Exit: We left Albania at Muriqan on the Shkoder - Ulcinj (Montenegro) road. During holiday season it can be very crowded here. It took us 2 hours to cross the border. As we already paid road tax for Montenegro earlier entry was free.
Highlights or not
Offroad from Gusinj (Montenegro) to Vermosh: Great off road piste. Beautiful views.
- Rozafa Castle: 200 Leki per person. Parking 100 Leki. The castle is OK. The views over Shkoder are great. Best place of the castle is the restaurant. It is Turkish Style and very nice atmosphere.
- Venetian Mask Factory: THE place to be if you want an original Venetian Mask. Here the masks for the movie Eyes Wide Shut were made. We loved this place and very mask is a piece of art. The Factory is in the white building. It will probably look deserted, but just ring the bell in the right top corner next to the double door.
- Theth Valley: Challenging
off road track to the valley. The valley itself is beautiful and
definitely worth visiting. The Theth Valley offers great hiking
From Gusinj to Hani i Hotit: Rocky off road piste (about 5-6 hours drive). Avarage speed 10-15km per hour. We would prefer a 4x4 here. Locals also drive normal cars here. Just before the end there is a climb with sharp hairpins.
- Koplik - Theth valley: Koplik
to Boge is tarmac. After Boge it is an off road piste all the way to
the Theth Valley. The piste is more rocky and full of stones (more than
on the Gusinj to Hani i Hotit road. The last 35 KM is off road and
takes about 3 to 4 hours driving. Road can be slippery when
|http://www.inyourpocket.com/albania/shkodra/sights||-||Tourist info Albania|
Grid: Lat/Lon hddd°mm.mmm"
used during our Balkan Trip in 2011
N42°29.222 E19°35.066 Route to Hani I Hotit
Bushcamp on the route from Vermosh to Hani I Hotit. We did not stay due to bad weather. A good spot however
N41°55.470 E19°32.447 Shkoder
Camping Albania. Clean comfortable. Run by a Dutch family. Good restaurant and free wireless internet.
€10 per night for 2 persons and a car.
N42°23.750 E19°46.419 Thethi
Camping Prek Parush € 5 per night for 2 persons and a car. Great place with a local and very friendly family.
They can also offer a meal.
N42°02.843 E19°29.769 Shkoder
N42°34.773 E19°44.619 Route Gusinj-Vermosh
Junction to Hani I Hotit
N42°12.676 E19°26.236 Koplik
Junction to Theth
N42°04.107 E19°31.530 Shkoder
Factory Venetian Masks
N42°01.022 E19°22.359 Muriqan
Border Albania - Montenegro
N42°23.310 E19°43.168 Route Boge - Thethi
Highest Point Boge-Theth road
N42°23.801 E19°38.617 Boge
Start/end off road piste Thethi
N42°35.545 E19°41.259 Vermosh village